Dogs at Ashby Ponds Showcase Their 'Tail'ents in Canine Cup | Community Spirit
Six dogs received top honors in the first ever dog show at the Ashburn retirement community
(Ashburn, Va.) – On September 24, Ashby Ponds retirement community hosted the very first Ashby Ponds Canine Cup dog competition! Seventeen four-legged residents of Ashby Ponds pranced their way around the show ring and into the hearts of the spectators and guest judges alike! Ashby Ponds is a pet-friendly community and is home to over 50 dogs, as well as cats, birds, and turtles! Many of the dogs that reside at the community have been rescued both as puppies and as adults. They are now basking in the good life at Ashby Ponds and are able to meet an abundance of new friends – both human and non-human!
For the 2014 Canine Cup, Ashby Ponds partnered with Loudoun County Animal Services and collected donations for the local shelter animals in need. Three very special guest judges also joined the residents for the show, rating the participating dogs on a four-paw system; they included Caitlin Gibson with The Washington Post, Krista Shires with Loudoun County Animal Services, and Amanda Devers with NOVAdog magazine.
The dogs competed in three different competitions including Best Dressed, Waggiest Tail, and Most Expressive Face. A Best in Show winner was also selected:
Best Dressed co-winners: Joey and Buster Brown
· Joey is a 7-year-old Standard Poodle. He is very friendly and loves people and other dogs. He loves to run and explore whenever possible, and his favorite toy is a brown bear.
· Buster Brown is a 9-year-old Bichon Frise, and is a rescue who loves long walks. He also likes to hold his Mom and Dad’s newspapers hostage until he is paid off with treats! His favorite toy is a squeaky frog.
Waggiest Tail: Dusti
· Dusti is a 10-year-old, rescued mix breed. She is very friendly and loves everybody.
Most Expressive Face co-winners: Gigi and Reggie
· Gigi is a 9-year-old French Toy Poodle. Her best friend is fellow contestant Reggie. She loves people and has to stop and say ‘hi’ to everyone.
· Reggie is a 9-year-old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Reggie likes to eat, be petted, go out for a walk, and just sit and look around. He loves to be wrapped in a towel for several hours on the sofa after bath time!
Best in Show: Charlie
· Charlie is a 7-year-old Papillon. He was rescued from a shelter in Texas and has lots of interest in anything that has to do with food. He is always full of energy and his favorite toy is an unstuffed fox!
About Ashby Ponds: Ashby Ponds, one of 18 retirement communities managed by Erickson Living, is situated on a scenic 132-acre campus in Ashburn, Virginia (approximately 30 miles west of Washington, D.C.). The community is home to over 850 residents and has over 120 resident-run and resident-driven clubs and groups, an indoor pool, a fitness club, transportation services, 24-hour security, and flexible dining options. More information about Ashby Ponds can be found at www.ericksonliving.com.